Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Initiatives in Theology and the Arts


 And if you like 'Veil', you'll probably like the idea of Duke University's Initiatives in Theology and the Arts.  Now, I live in academia, so I know how out of touch it can be, how prone to using the word cognate far too often.  (and mercy-sakes-mabel Duke, if you're going to have an art exhibit, put images online already!)  Nevertheless, it is one of the few places that accommodates the kind of prolonged, thoughtful discussions that these subjects deserve.

Since my own interest is in the way that design of space can facilitate the church, I'll be following their research into Theology and the Spatial Arts, and I wish I had time to read everything on the very comprehensive arts-in-theology and theology-in-arts reading list! 


See also related programs at the University of Otago in New Zealand  and St. Andrews in Scotland.

Thanks to reader Joelle for the tip!

[the above image of the 'joyful angel' is one of a set of windows by Charles Cordel at the Church of the Three Kings in Frankfurt, Germany   (installed 1956) has stayed with me for some time...I love his splashes of bright color in a muted, paned matrix.]

1 comment:

k.b.e. said...

Oh wow, wow, just now discovering your blogs, and can't believe that A. you've got playgrounds intersecting with church-space/faith-art and that B. you recently mentioned the Duke/Begbie program which I just discovered to my utter happy surprise, while talking to one of the Th.D. students, two days ago, and which I absolutely am going to further explore.

I will be coming back to both/all of your blogs! Thank you and onward....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...